Share:
 

History

Port Melbourne Cricket Club was established in 1874. It was one of the original teams in Melbourne's District Cricket competition comprising of 12 competing clubs; along with Port Melbourne were Carlton, East Melbourne, Essendon, Fitzroy, Melbourne, North Melbourne, Richmond, St Kilda, South Melbourne, University and Williamstown. These teams competed in the first District Cricket season. 

In 1908 it was realised that a system of promotion and relegation was unworkable, and the clubs taking part in District Cricket were divided into District and Sub-District teams - Port Melbourne was one of eight original competing teams in the Victorian Sub District Cricket Association (VSDCA), along with Brighton, Caulfield, Coburg, Elsternwick, Hawthorn, Malvern, and Williamstown. 

In 2002/2003, Port Melbourne joined one the largest metropolitan competitions in the country, the Victorian Turf Cricket Association (VTCA).

In 2016/17 Cricket Victoria created the Cricket Southern Bayside competition. All former VTCA South Division Clubs formed the competition, which is now known as Cricket Southern Bayside.


The Borough's

Port Melbourne are known as the 'Borough's'; originating from the sporting teams based in the Borough of Port Melbourne. Team members representing the Borough came from within the working class surroundings of the once thriving Port Melbourne docks. Numbers have risen and fallen over the generations. Only recently has Port Melbourne again seen another strong influx of residents, with the area becoming popular with those seeking the inner city lifestyle and a short trip to work in Melbourne. 

Honour Board

Please visit Honour Roll, Life Members and Office Bearers for a complete history of the club Presidents and awards since 1928/29.